Friday, December 28, 2007

dripping wet and felted



Here's the tote bag fresh from the washing machine, felted and still very wet. I stuffed it with a couple of cardboard shoe boxes and a small carton for drying overnight and removed these when they had absorbed alot of water. It was so exciting to see the bag after felting! I had no idea what the checkerboard border would look like since felting intarsia can distort. I've read that smaller pieces of knitting felt differently from larger ones and I found this to be true. It is challenging not knowing how much shrinkage to expect and varies on the overall dimensions of the piece. When its dry, the handles will be threaded through the knitted holes in the I-cord top edging. I took it to the fabric store today while it was still wet to purchase cording for the handles.