Monday, June 4, 2007

"fitted knits" by stephanie japel Boatneck Bluebell sweater

When I went to the hospital for a little hip 'repair' nearly two weeks ago, I did not have too much knitting left on any of my 'portable' projects so I started another project. I could not wait to make something from Stephanie Japel's beautiful book "fitted knits: 25 designs for the fashionable knitter." I've chosen a boat neck, long sleeved sweater using worsted and mohair from Lambs Pride in periwinkle blue. This sweater will go under the bulky jacket from Vogue Knitting (see posts) I am finishing in the same color. This is the first sweater I've made in the round, from the neck down, and as each row got wider and wider to include the shoulders and raglan sleeves, it gives the knitting process new pleasure, endless knitting without focus on rows. As I worked I saw the remaining wool in the hank deminish but the rows did not seem to grow from my needles since only one side of the sweater faces me at a time. It was slow going. When I was able to put the entire project on waste yarn, I was able to try it on and wow, it fits close to my shoulders an neckline, exactly where it should be!